Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Black squares and awkward silences

A few months ago I was at a photocopier in a library and made a useless copy of a page. I threw it into the waste paper box, where I saw a white sheet of paper covered in a black square. Someone had left the lid of the photocopier open and let it scan the space of the room above, which rendered a black square. It looked like an overexposed polaroid or the black Malevich. 

I kept the sheet of paper, because it reminds me of the phenomenon where what looks like nothing actually contains the information of everything. When you look into the blackness of the sky at night you're looking into infinity, even though it appears blank.

Similarly silences in conversations reveal as much as words. What isn't said explains the way you understand the people you talk to, the way you distrust and what you trust in. Sometimes absences have a presence that we're not used to looking for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment