Thursday, July 4, 2013

On the instinctual impulse to evade advice

When someone gives me good advice it's as though I'm being swaddled in a layer of bubble wrap, and the fear of being ossified in that restful, semi-transparent membrane horrifies me so, that my gut reaction is to thrash about and defy any well-intentioned guidance.

But often, for ettiquettes sake, I bow in thanks and hobble off to privately extricate myself out of their consultation and opinions.

Even when the advisor is experienced and speaks with generosity and listens with care, it's not possible to just hold out my arms and take the advice home and eat it like a takeaway meal.
No. Instead I need to go to the shops, buy the ingredients and try over and over to create that perfect flavour myself. 

Acquiescence is the softening of your will.


Urn of bubble wrap!
Enfeebling cocoon!
The final resting place of my initiative!


No comments:

Post a Comment