Saturday, June 16, 2012

The centre of my moil

This morning I will write about something that sometimes squeezes my heart into a tiny little knotted muscle of angst and sometimes floods my heart with grace. I am talking of course about that most beneficent of Austrailan organisations, Centrelink.

For many people the idea of receiving a benefit from the government evokes images of the unvacuumed carpets of community housing, debilitating illnesses and most often  flaccid work ethics.

I admit that there are unvacuumed carpets in my life, but they rest in that state because I am in a state of consistent activity. I work hard studying and really I am grateful that we live in a country that has any system of support for people who for whatever reason can't support themselves as well. I also feel indebted to use my life beyond study providing a service to our communities (and I am not very patriotic). I guess that's the bind they get you in: everyone else thinks you're a lazy slacker - so you better work doubly hard to prove your value later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment