Friday, July 6, 2012

The world is big and you're allowed to look at it

It's rare that I would give a review of some media product in such a formal domain, I'm more likely to tell you about it when I see you and I'm not a big consumer of media anyway.

I went to the world press photography exhibition at the Mitchell library on Tuesday night. The whole event has a peculiar air to it: there is so much drama in every photograph but never melodrama because these crises are real. The faces are captured in a simple honesty, in most situations it's not likely that the person with the camera is the main concern of those subjects during the onslaught of whatever provocation they are faced with. The faces are so direct that I feel I have really met the troup of illiterate young policemen in Afghanistan and the drug addicted prostitute in Ukraine. 

I have respect for media that is used as a weapon against ignorance and this exhibition really does explode.

No comments:

Post a Comment