Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Family

This is a promise to the future human beings I take under my care:

I will plan for you, you won't have been accidental.
I will always be honest with you.
I will always respect you.
I will make you a home and put these things inside it: books, artworks, plant life, animals, food from a garden, music from my mouth and also a stereo, bicycles, skipping ropes and balls, and the most important ingredient - people with big minds and knowledge of the world they can teach you, big hands that can hold you and discipline you, big hearts like colossal trees that house ecosystems of emotion with love at the top of the food chain, big ideas that exemplify passion and determination, big eyes that see you as an individual with your own ideas and desires.

I want to raise children in a community so that they don't feel trapped by two parents, so that the lessons they learn are diverse, so that there are more people around to torture them with tickling. I already know individuals whom I would be honoured to bless my progeny in the presence of.
I think childrearing will be the fullest dilation of my heart, a devotion that can't be reversed.
I want to help children learn about themselves and learn about myself in so doing.

From now on I am planning a life that I am going to share with a big family... children, a partner if I find one who wants to join me, friends and parents and anyone, any animal, who I meet who shares their heart with the same ease and consistency with which we give out carbon dioxide.

I want to bring people together in a big family who can talk and crawl and learn and fly and cry and think and  be human together.


1 comment:

  1. Thanks Paulo,
    you take beautiful photos... I have a secret love of architecture, especially religious architecture. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete