Thursday, March 15, 2012

my God is Real!

I don't like using the word God because it means "big man" in my head. That's why I like the Hindu god Brahman who is gender neutral, not to mention the Atman (inner, personal self in all people) is recognised to be a droplet in the ocean of Brahman which I find far more pervasive and personal than a god who made us and then decides our fate.

But I am not Hindu (one has to be born Hindu to be Hindu). Without having ever written it in such definitive terms, to me god is the consciousness in all living things. I told that to my friend the other day who has an interest in biology and neuroscience and he told me that there is a little part in the back of your brain, under the nape of your neck, which if snipped renders a person unconscious.

And for the next two days I was quite sad. Because the beauty and mystery of perception was up until that point a wonderful secret of the universe that I was enjoying respecting and living through. But turns out no, it's all physiological.

However now I do not think scientific fact makes it any less miraculous or less worthy of reverence. If anything it confirms the reality of being. You must be careful not to deify something as fleeting as your life, be humble about it. Also do not reify consciousness, because then you cannot appreciate it. I believe there's a balance in which always being awake to sensory perceptions allows you to fully exist in the present.

No comments:

Post a Comment